Thursday, August 25, 2011

two posts in one day: must be guilt

To counter my not quite ready to die post of this afternoon, I offer a quick list of Summer 2011 Good Things:

1. Did not have to give up my iced mochas, but did perfect making my own iced latte using a stovetop espresso maker. Thanks Mom for showing me how.
2. Running early. OUTSIDE.
3. Villa Pizza, High Rock Cafe, and Emy J's.
4. Siblings. Siblings everywhere! And nieces and nephews. It is neat to see us older three with little ones of our own.
5. Catching up with friends. It's nice to have relationships that pick up where left off, fill in gaps quickly and just enjoy the present.
6. Justin biked. OUTSIDE.
7. Fast internet. Given what awaits us in Kuwait, I am tempted to go nuts on iTunes.
8. You go to a grocery store and it's there. It doesn't matter what it is. It is there. That is very American.
9. Eavesdropping.
10. Rain. Thunderstorms. I ran in rain and there is not much that I find more cleansing. I get very metaphorical when I run in rain.
11. Magazines and libraries and bookstores.
12. Free babysitting. Which gives me time to:
13. Write and read.
14. Dryers. We line dry in Kuwait. There have been a couple of times when we used a dryer just because we could. Warm sweatshirts, ahhh.
15. Driving. We enjoy being on the road and there isn't much road in Kuwait that is actually enjoyable so it's been fun to drive. Really. Except when someone (or two) are screaming in the backseat.
16. Thinking returning to the States wouldn't be that bad. We aren't planning it for anytime soon, but it was nice to realize that the States are okay. We could live here.  I could get used to number 8.
17. It didn't snow.
18. Hills.
19. Watching my Dad and my father-in-law be grandpas. Both are great.
20. Enjoying other people cooking for me. We've had some wonderful meals. It's been nice to be spoiled like that.
21. Justin and I have enjoyed a few dates. I keep wanting to call our dates "escapes." We get a chance to talk about what may come next and what we're in the middle of now, and to be together alone. Together alone. That's good for a couple. We've also had a growing time as a family. I think we're settling in to this Mama Papa thing.
22. Walking and biking with the little ones.
23. Big thoughts and little thank yous.

3 comments:

Billie said...

It's so nice to read a post that has so many things sounding similar to my life :-) Glad you enjoyed your time in the states! I really think once you have a family it's harder to stay away from family.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I enjoyed the grandpa and dad things while you and Justin were here.

Love,
Dad

Angela and David said...

Glad you had a good time back here in the states. Of all the things that are different for you in Kuwait, I think not being able to run outside and see green would be the hardest for me.