Wednesday, August 24, 2011

summer home coming to a close

If I posted weekly you'd get a sense of the fun we have had all summer. But since it's the end of the adventure, I keep thinking of my brother Nate and what he said shortly after I arrived to Wisconsin with the kids. He and his family had been in the States for a bit and were gearing up for their last week or two. He said, "I am tired of traveling. I would rather be dead." He is back in Korea now, so he made it.

But I get the sentiment. The thought of going one more place makes me itch. I tallied all of our places this summer has taken us: seven. We have slept in seven different places. And switches? The back and forth? Eleven times. We have moved from here to there to there to here to there there there eleven times. Eleven times to set up beds for Claire and Grant and to see if we remembered the toothpaste. Now let me say that each of our hosts has been lovely. Really. We've enjoyed our visits.

But at one point my mother-in-law answered a question about lunch or what to do this afternoon with, "It doesn't matter. We're on vacation." She was on vacation. Me? Oh, this is not vacation. This is a diversion. It is fun. It even manages to be restful at times. But it is not a vacation. A vacation will be when everyone poops on the toilet and carries their own backpack. Perhaps it has something to do with the length of time allotted: a vacation ends after one or two weeks and then the novelty of someone else's bed dishes bathroom wears off.

So, yes, I miss Kuwait. And, yes, I know it will be hot when we get there. And I know I will hate the traffic. That's been one of the nicest parts of summer: such easy, mindless driving. Another nice part has been ther running. The green green world here. The moderate summer temperatures. Seeing family and friends. Watching my kids grow in a month. It's been a good summer.

Justin and I have been thinking about next summer. Yeah. I know. We should just stop. I think we want to talk about it while this summer is fresh. We are at the dragging end of it. We don't have a clue. Here is where I try to think of something more upbeat than, "I am tired of traveling. I would rather be dead." I wouldn't rather be dead. I would rather be home though. A few more days and we'll be there. And after a few more weeks, we won't recall the burdens of suitcases and we'll talk about next summer and say that this summer wasn't so bad. We all had a lot of fun, you know. And that's true. We have had a lot of fun.

3 comments:

jessica said...

"A vacation will be when everyone poops on the toilet and carries their own backpack."

This is true.
I suppose it'll be added to as time goes on though... "and no one whines about being bored, or misses their curfew."

Hope you have a stress-free trip home :)

jsmarslender said...

No kidding! : )

Sergio en Colombia said...

great quote from your bro. i might steal that sometime.