Monday, May 17, 2010

book recommendations wanted

Our book club is choosing next year's book selections. I've gone through a few "best of" lists and found some new titles I'm interested in reading, but I'll bet you have some good suggestions too. Please post fiction or nonfiction titles or authors that you enjoy. I'll let you know what we choose.

Super excited about getting a new list of books to read! A Kindle is on my current Want List, and Justin just might be convinced after we tally an overseas shipping order. Let me know if you have a different online reader to recommend too - I know there is Sony's eReader (?); I've also heard that Google might be introducing a product you can use with iTunes books (coming soon?), Amazon, or Barnes & Noble. I haven't done much research on Kindle alternatives, but if you've got insight, do tell. Thanks!

9 comments:

Billie said...

I am currently reading "American Wife" by Curtis Settenfield and I really like it. It the story line reads quickly. But I will admit that because it is "loosely based" on Laura Bush it's kind of hard to get lost in the characters as I normally do since I'm thinking about the those in real life. But it is still hard for me to put down.

She also wrote Prep and I loved that one, too. That one might be a better selection for book club since there is lots to discuss on race, social class, etc.

The Chapples said...

Have you read "The Help?" That's one of the beter ones I've read recently...

DC Running Mama said...

Ha ha, I just read Help and am currently reading An American Wife and can attest that they are both hard to put down!

N.D. said...

I'm going to go off yoru comments as ideas! Lace Reader is what I am reading now and some others that I've really enjoyed:
19 minutes
sarah's key
the right side of disaster

Angela and David Kidd said...

I cannot NOT finish a book and I have been trying to get through Vince Lombardi's biography for weeks now so I'm afraid that leaves me with nothing to suggest.

jsmarslender said...

Thanks for the ideas! I actually had "American Wife" on my list and have heard "The Help" is great. Silly but I'm super excited to have a list to read through. So excited that I might end up joining a second book club. : )

Billie said...

Oh, I was also going to suggest "Bookseller in Kabul." Hmm, might not be a great book to read as a book club over there but I LOVED the book. :-)

Sergio en Colombia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sergio en Colombia said...

just finished "song of solomon" (toni morrison) which i read back in high school and didn't appreciate then nearly as much as i did this time around. i only picked it up after reading it was banned from the ap-english course at some school in indiana or ohio and i wanted to remember "why?!?" so glad i did!