Wednesday, April 21, 2010

news story

This story is making me sad. "At Top University, a Fight for Pakistan's Future."

I teach students from Pakistan and reading this makes me very sad for their country. I've been reading bits about Pakistan in other news sources; until this year, it was a country I didn't pay much attention to because it was just a land of poverty and religious extremism. But knowing people from Pakistan, including a friend who will be returning there with her husband and child, the country is on my mind.

Living abroad has changed reading the news for me. I can't read the news in a vacuum anymore. While in Colombia, I paid attention to what was happening in South America; news stories from that continent still catch my eye on the screen. And now I'm unable to call the Middle East a place on the other side of the world. Even though I do not always understand the complexities of this region, I read about its people and governments. And I have faces that come to me when I read: people I know who are Iranian, Iraqi, Saudi Arabian. The news isn't so distant.

1 comment:

Angela and David Kidd said...

It's too bad we can't all experience as much of the world as you have. When the news has a face to it you tend to be more empathetic and it seems more real. Even when I lived in DC the news seemed more real than it does now living in the Chicago suburbs because I was surrounded by people from all regions, races and religions and when something happened in the world it impacted my local community.