Tuesday, March 2, 2010

two interesting articles from ny times

The first is about the psychology of moving. We may have "pulled a geography" when we left Wisconsin, but I don't think we plan on doing that again. Lately when we've talked about Kuwait, it isn't I wish this were different but more Let's see what we can do while we're here. I imagine that when the time comes for another move, it'll be sad too.

I've talked with a few parents raising their kids abroad and a few adults who were raised abroad. Justin and I both want the best for Claire and the new one, but we aren't sure what that best looks like. I'll let you know some of what I've learned about the benefits and drawbacks of living childhood and adolescence abroad in a future post.

The second article is about a German homeschooling family who sought and won asylum in the States. They moved here because homeschooling is illegal in Germany. Since I was homeschooled through middle school and my parents continue to homeschool my younger siblings, I'm interested in subject. Homeschooling has evolved over the years and I find it fascinating that a movement which began as a largely religiously motivated choice now includes parents of a wide variety of political, social, and religious views.

3 comments:

jessica said...

Yep, that homeschooling/asylum issue is fascinating. I grew up thinking homeschooling was, well, odd. As a parent though? I absolutely get it.

DC Running Mama said...

Moving is HARD! It's funny, but after moving around so much as a kid (9 schools, 4 high schools) I find that I am so afraid to move...to change...because I love the steadiness that living in one place provides. The one thing that I want to provide my child(hopefully ren) is a home and a place where they share overlapping memories of all stages of their life. And, most likely, I'll have children that wish that we roamed the world!

jsmarslender said...

Stetson sent this link about the possible consequences of granting asylum to homeschoolers from otherwise non-repressive governments. Could be an interesting debate to keep an eye on...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100302/us_time/09171196809900