Sunday, December 6, 2009

stress fracture prevention

I just read this interesting article about stress fracture prevention in the NY Times online Sunday Magazine. Considering my tibia were speckled with healed stress fractures (stress reactions, one doctor called them) at an MRI I had a few years ago, I was happy to read two basic ways to reduce my chances of getting another one:

1. Increase my calf muscle mass (even by just a little bit!)

2. Shorten my stride

I've actually been playing around with my stride for, oh, five years, trying to find a stride that will keep me running into my sixties (seventies? eighties?). It's difficult to judge my own stride. I think I'll ask Justin to play sports medicine doctor and film me front, side, and back so I can take a look. Right now, I'm feeling good with my stride but a couple of days ago (after reading an article about economical strides), I shortened my stride a bit and felt like I could run faster with just that slight change. Very interesting to the runner me.

2 comments:

Angela and David Kidd said...

Finally, I see a benefit from my years playing volleyball and the countless calf raises I used to do to increase my vertical! Now I just need to not run into my bed and fracture bones in my foot.

Good luck with your stride!

DC Running Mama said...

From years of doing toe lifts to increase my calf size, I can tell you that nothing works. I still have skinny scrawny calves. You might have better luck with the shortened stride!