Thursday, November 19, 2009

you must be counting down the days

Said a friend to me today. She was talking about the days until our December break, when I will be finished with the maternity leave sub. But, surprisingly, I'm not really counting down. In fact, I've told a few people that I'll miss being in the classroom when this stint is over.

Today I took a trip to the English department book room and gawked at all the class sets of novels. I like that book, I thought, and I would love to teach that one. I grabbed two to read for myself. The texts I'm teaching from are very good too, an updated version of what I had in Wisconsin. My last two years in Colombia, I was photocopying loads of material, didn't have a decent updated text to use, and wasn't impressed by the class sets of novels. (However, the Bolivar library was very well stocked with new and interesting titles). So I found myself thinking how smoothly I could put together units, plan lessons, with all of these available resources.

So I've just finished my second full week. Julius Caesar is wrapped up (finally) and the sophomores are about to begin Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, set in 1820s Nigeria. I'm excited about teaching it and looking forward to what the students pick up from the story.

And that's what makes me think: maybe I could teach next year. But I'm still holding firm to part-time as an ideal balance for me, at this time in my life. I thought subbing might be a good test of whether or not I'd enjoy full-time. I think I could do it (of course I could!), but I'd lose more than I'd gain. I enjoy teaching, but I enjoy being a mama more. Understanding that, I'll pursue a part-time position for next school year and be pleased if it works out and fine if it doesn't.

Honestly, I wasn't sure I wanted to be back in the classroom at all. Six years seemed like long enough to learn a bit, endure a lot, and quit before I really hated my job. But I'm not counting down the days and that suggests that the classroom might have a spot for me yet.

5 comments:

Sergio en Colombia said...

i had to read things fall apart twice - once in 12th grade humanities and once in college for some world lit course. i hated it both times, 3 years apart. i actually half gagged when i read your post. :)
but i'm glad you like it!

jsmarslender said...

Ha! I didn't like it at first, but I ended up enjoying it. Was it overanalyzed to death? That always, always makes me hate a book. I'll try not to do that to my students...

Clare said...

part time would be so perfect for me too. hope you can find it!

N.D. said...

Its cool you get to do it now. Part time I would love! I miss the classroom so much!

DC Running Mama said...

I really feel like part-time IS the best. You get some time to use your adult brain and quality time with the little guy. I've been working too much lately and having pangs or sadness when I drop my little guy off. I don't think that I could leave him for hours on end day after day...