Saturday, November 7, 2009

insane earliness

Last spring I did a stretch of four a.m. mornings so that I could get my run in before nursing, before teaching, before I was too zonked to think about tying my running shoes. Tomorrow it begins again. Four a.m. alarm, on the treadmill twenty minutes later, and then out the door by a little after six o'clock.

My friend Kate once told me that she had to be on the train for her commute into Chicago by eight. I think it was eight. Either way, it was a time that made me think I'd chosen the wrong profession entirely. I dream of nine to five. One of my biggest gripes about teaching is the insanely early hours you have to get up to teach a pack of adolescents who are barely awake themselves. I don't think being done by three or four in the afternoon counts for much, especially if you're lugging prep work and grading home at night. I'd rather start late, end late. And (digression ahead) I also don't mind the idea of year round school. I think teachers and students would be much more productive and happier if they worked worked worked for nine weeks and got a week or two off before starting the next quarter. Or switched to trimesters. Or shortened the school day but added days to the calendar. I keep hearing debates about all of this but not too much about districts actually trying any of it.

Anyway, as much as nine to five sounds glorious my schedule from now until our Christmas break is: at school by 6:30 or 6:45 to begin classes at 7:15 (which end at 2:00) and home by 3:15 or 3:30. Not bad, really. I don't know why I'm complaining. Even if I worked nine to five, I'd still probably get up at five in the morning to run or write. What's an hour earlier?

The answer may be: a lot.

3 comments:

Clare said...

i love my 7-2 hours and could NEVER work 9-5 again! of course, i could also never work out before work. that's just silly.

Kate said...

It's funny, you fantasize about a 9-5 and we bankers all fantasize about being teachers! Guess working just sucks in general. :)

DC Running Mama said...

Um, 4 am is still freaking insane. Even if it is only an hour before 5. Part of the reason that I am part-time (...perhaps the MAIN reason?) is that I would have to drop Nathan off at day care at 7:30 am and wouldn't be there to pick him up until 5:00. That would have resulted in me having to get up at 5 am to run every day...ug. I could have done it, but man, that would have been HARD.