Thursday, November 12, 2009

done with people

People. Overload. At the end of a work week, I am done with people. I've spent my days talking and smiling and figuring things out and being stumped on questions and willing creativity and keeping a checklist on paper that doesn't include half of what's on the list in my head. All I want at the end of the week is to do absolutely nothing.

And yet, I made plans. And then cancelled. We were supposed to go to the Embassy tonight to have a beer. A beer that wasn't brewed in a spare bathroom. Claire was going to get to play on real grass and we were going to visit with our friends who were kind enough to invite us along. And until about five o'clock, I thought I could do it. Justin was still at a game, Claire was eating her dinner, and I thought that I could handle a night at the embassy.

Then I crashed. I couldn't do it. I couldn't even imagine how much energy it would take to call a taxi and then to smile at all the new people I'd meet and then to actually pay attention to what everyone was saying. All I wanted was a hammock.

This is my first week back at work full-time, subbing for an English teacher on maternity leave, and I'd like to think I have it in me to go go go, but I don't. I've done remarkably well, though. Classes and students are fine, but our family life is stretched thin by Justin's coaching. Next week is his last week with soccer and it will be a long week for all of us. He'll be traveling to Qatar for a tournament with his girls so Claire and I will be on our own for a few days. I have absolutely no idea what that will be like.

So. One week down. I'm enjoying the classroom. I haven't imploded. And I do miss my Claire in the mornings.

4 comments:

DC Running Mama said...

I am the same way...if I were just hanging out w/ old friends and could wear sweats and not care...it would be one thing, but to have to put on a face and actively try to engage and create conversation...that's something else. Enjoy you down time!!

Anonymous said...

that's what i'd have done. love you! mom

Clare said...

i don't see andra in the mornings either most of the time...sucks!!

Angela and David Kidd said...

It always gets better after the first two weeks. That adjustment period is just brutal.

And are you guys brewing beer in your bathroom?