Wednesday, September 9, 2009

promises

1. The phone line will be fixed so that you can get broadband internet
2. The phone line will be fixed so that you can get broadband internet (soon)
3. I will post pictures this week or weekend

There. That's out of the way. We are finding routine, Claire and I together during the day and Justin in his classroom. After two years of only one teaching prep, Justin now has three different courses he teaches and six classes of students. He'll be fine. Then he decided to coach JV girls' soccer. This season. He'll be fine. We both fall into bed around nine o'clock and sleep like rocks.

I keep myself entertained learning to cook different recipes (I'll post recipes that work), making a near daily trip down to the pool with Claire (she's dunking and not screaming about it now), laughing at Claire (and with her) when she's being silly. I am reading and writing and am amazed that I have the creative capacity to generate ideas that turn into characters on the page. I think teaching - despite all the writing I did in its own context, and all the literature I read and reread - sucked a bit of my own ability to actually create.

So this is shaping up to be a good year: I found a running partner (we ran a stretch of beach just to say we did, breathing air like an oven); my feet will find their way to a pedicurist soon; the flat bread and hummus is amazing (Claire agrees) and the olive selection, oh, the olive selection (a post on olives alone, at some point); Justin is a happy man here with prospects lined up to join a desert biking club and a men's soccer league as soon as his coaching season is over; we found a church that we like enough to keep going; I don't have to encounter gossippy work stuff unless I invite it; we're making new friends, warm and comfortable people to be around (Claire is meeting new friends too, chief among them is Elliot).

We are doing well. I'll post pictures soon (third promise, mine to you) and you just hope the first two promises come through soon so I can do a better job emailing and keeping up with your blogs. Until then, I'd best go see what my Claire is up to now. Enjoy, enjoy.

5 comments:

The Laughing Mouse said...

Yay!! Glad to hear you're settling in nicely. Even if it is breathing in an oven from time to time. Can't wait to see pictures .... also can't wait to see some of the writing!!

DC Running Mama said...

Oh so glad to hear that all is going well and that you are writing! And, man, am I jealous re: the hummus and olive selection. Hummus is a dietary STAPLE for me. I buy a huge vat at Costco and it takes me only one week to eat it. I think it has something like 30 servings. Wow. That's embarrassing!

Angela and David Kidd said...

I have been so excited to read how things are going. Sounds like you are settling in and meeting great people. I can't wait to see some pictures!

N.D. said...

It sounds like things are going well! :)

Clare said...

sounds great so far! you seem to have found friends and settled in so quickly!