Friday, September 25, 2009

friday five: emmerging personality

1. October's book club selection is My Life in France by Julia Child. She writes about reflecting on her character weaknesses and says "I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was." I absolutely love Julia Child for writing that. Gives me immense hope.

She also tells about preparing a meal for a friend; when the meal was terrible, Julia decided not to apologize. That was a rule she made for herself. No apologizing for poor cooking. And I absolutely love her for writing that too. I apologize for hitting the wrong button in the elevator. Sorry for nothing. I need to save my sorries.

2. Croissants! A la Julia! I made a dozen croissants the other day and they turned out beautifully. I did not think the recipe was difficult but I had to be patient and precise at each step. When I took the first pan out of the oven, I ate one standing up at the counter. Then I shared another with Justin, and gave away most of them to friends. I have one left for tea this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll make a double batch and freeze them to pop in the oven when I'm in the mood for something French.

3. France! I want to eat and drink my way through France now. I also want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, learn to scuba dive, and drink a Guinness in Ireland. What comes first?

4. Claire. I've known her for almost a year now and I'm seeing this little person find her personality. She has a sense of humor. She's curious. She is starting to become quite stubborn. Keeping her alive and loving on her is one thing but Justin and I are both a little nervous about making sure that Claire develops into a nice person. Of course, nice isn't overnight or owing entirely to parenting but still - Mama and Papa have to learn how.

5. Temperature. The days are much, much cooler now than when we first arrived in Kuwait. A couple of weeks ago, I could have baked my croissants outside. The temperature and the humidity has dropped and I've been enjoying several clear days - I can see a good stretch of the Gulf from our windows. And bodies acclimate fairly quickly. We went for a walk to the Gulf last night and I wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought I'd be in the low nineties heat.

Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

Angela and David Kidd said...

I loved that book and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Julia Childs. I found it so inspiring that she didn't even really know how to cook until she was 36.

N.D. said...

sounds like a great book. I like your 5 things. It is going to be crazy to raise our kids to be nice people and be responsible for all that. the croissants sound delicious.