Saturday, September 19, 2009

dial up

Maybe eight or nine months ago, my in-laws got high speed internet. This was a big deal to us because it meant that they could Skype and see their granddaughter. We rolled our eyes that it took so long (after years of remaining staunch devotees to dial up, there were months of service calls and price comparisons that might have ended completely had not Claire's grandma really wanted to see her). But we were also living in the land of everything taking so long, so had a bit of sympathy for the back and forth business of getting anything done. Well, we are back in that land of everything taking so long, this time on the other side of the world. And being back in that land of everything taking so long means that we have dial up until the guys with high speed connections connect us.

I just spent fifteen minutes trying to load one (one!) picture to this blog before canceling that idea and deciding to pout. So pictures must wait.

Settle for an update. Claire has four teeth. Two top, two bottom This means she can eat a whole plum or gnaw a piece of apple when she isn't busy trying to sink her teeth into my arm or shoulder. She is also close to walking. I'm beginning to think that being close to walking might be a stage unto itself. She is also getting attached to her teddy bear, which I think is sweet since I had a little lamb I was attached to also. She is very verbal but still has more of a grasp on "uh oh" than, say "Mama" or "Papa." And even "uh oh" might be regressing since lately she's been saying "uh uh." Hm. Let's see. She also poops a lot, which isn't news but is making me rethink the environmental goody goody part of me that bought cloth diapers - when you practically need a spatula to scrape the poo off a diaper before sending it through the wash, you think it might be a better idea to just pitch the whole mess and set up a corner of wood shavings.

Well, Claire is awake and no doubt wants a clean diaper and some lunch. Despite the poo, she cracks me up. Enjoy your Saturday.

6 comments:

Nate said...

We receive the occasional bundle of hand-me-down baby supplies from departing staff, and recently Joie discovered a stack of diaper liners that keep the poo from soaking into the cloth diapers. You should look into that. They look like big dryer sheets.

Wood shavings would also be a good idea, or in your setting I might suggest sand. Of course there are social anxieties that likely come with having a kid who is trained for a litter box.

N.D. said...

It stinks when you have a slow upload going on!! 4 teeth!! Nick doesn't have any yet. And he has total trouble pooping. Tell me what she eats! Nick has prunes and peaches EVERYDAY. And now flax since I just found out it helps you go!!

Sergio en Colombia said...

please please please let the picture you couldn't load be about "pitching the whole mess and setting up a corner of wood shavings." please please please...

Clare said...

i second the diaper liner thingies! i gave up cloth for a month or 2 this summer but am trying to get back into it for weekends and at least 1 diaper a day during the week...the liners are so much better, even though i feel like i'm putting sandpaper on andra's butt.

jsmarslender said...

Thanks for the liners tip! We're trying paper towels for now but I think I'll look at a fabric store for something better...(I really didn't want to park a spatula next to the diaper pail).

Angela and David Kidd said...

I gave up on the cloth diaper very, very quickly. I also tried the gDiaper and I liked that a lot but it wasn't cheap. I'm guessing you can't get them over there but maybe online?

And once she gets to walking, look out, they pick up speed quickly!