Tuesday, August 11, 2009

equivalent

The other morning at the end of a shared bike ride and run, my Mom said that she heard biking four miles was equivalent to jogging one. I know nothing about this except that I think I'd still prefer my ten mile run to a forty mile ride (though I haven't been bitten by the bike bug like my husband). But after yesterday, I was wondering:

How many miles is painting rooms for eight (plus) hours worth?

I volunteered to paint my parents' living room, dining area, sunroom, and back hallway - and was much relieved when another friend stepped up to help. So yesterday Kristine and I plowed through most of the walls. And at the end of the day, my legs felt like they'd been on a loooong run. Justin shook them out - he just grabs the thigh or calve and shakes up and down the different muscle groups (it's glorious) - but I still woke with cramps.

So I am passing on this morning's run. We still have a few miles to go in the sunroom.

5 comments:

DC Running Mama said...

Smart woman for taking a break! (I am NOT such a smart woman) I wonder about the painting, too! We just (gulp) bought a second house and are going to be a lot of painting in the next two months (we're renting our current house).

Angela and David Kidd said...

I don't know how many miles painting equals but I'm guessing the fumes you breath in might create something close to a runner's high.

jsmarslender said...

No kidding!

N.D. said...

wow - you are a good daughter!! : )

Anonymous said...

N.D., I agree! Sarah is a good daughter! Sarah's mom
P.S. The walls look terrific!