Wednesday, May 20, 2009

early to bed, early to rise

It's after nine. I need to go to bed. I am always high-strung-weirdly-mellow before a day of travel. Anxious about all the things that could go wrong. Happy to be headed to where I'm headed. A little sad to be leaving where I am.

Tomorrow morning when the city is quiet and the streets are still dark, Claire and I will take a long drive to the airport north of Cali. We'll check our bags and board a plane. We'll go through customs in Miami (nightmare of an airport and I'm always half-surprised any of our luggage makes it through), and connect to Chicago. I might even get to eat lunch and grab a Starbucks chai latte (yippee!). Dad will meet us with three of my younger siblings and we'll drive to hometown, Wisconsin. That's about as much as I know.

My Wisconsin List
1. Make Kate's wedding day a good one (yea, Kate!)
2. Manage a good toast (at least it's written)
3. Eat all the cheese I want
4. Run outside, enjoy the cooler weather
5. Play Dutch Blitz or Sequence or Bananagrams with my siblings
6. Drink a cup of tea with Mom
7. Introduce Claire to her Wisconsin family: grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, and uncles!
8. Do a grocery run for yummy Stateside stuff we can't get in Colombia: Blue Moon beer, chocolate chips, cheddar cheese, peanut butter (remember the salmonella peanut butter scare last year? That's when Colombia suddenly started stocking Peter Pan peanut butter and all the expats rushed to buy it)
9. Take Claire on a walk, by myself
10. Find a smidge of time to write, even if only a journal

2 comments:

DC Running Mama said...

Happy travels! Sounds like a GREAT list of things to accomplish!

Angela and David Kidd said...

Enjoy your time in the midwest! We should have great weather while your here. And add to your list to make a trip Trader Joes.