Wednesday, April 22, 2009

ack! what's your name?

Today I called Alejandro, Andres. I looked right at him and said, "Andres, you owe me a book." And he looked at me and said, "I'm Alejandro." Smack my forehead. I knew that. I knew that. Andres is the one with lighter and fluffier hair. Alejandro has darker brows. And this, after feeling proud that I'd relearned all of my students' names. (In time for them to take their final exams). I apologized and he assured me it was okay and I ended my last class with my seniors feeling slightly idiotic, waiting for the bell to hurry up and ring before I opened my mouth and blurted something like, "Yeah, I bought my degree from this really cool website."

I didn't.

But this is the first school year I have had such a problem with names. Last year, I started out mistaking Catalina and Carolina and Sofia and my sophomores couldn't understand what was so difficult. Hm. When other import teachers talk to each other about their students, it's useless to say, "The junior with dark hair and brown eyes" because they all have dark hair and brown eyes. Well, not all. Some girls dye their hair pink once in awhile.

But this name game makes me wonder about mommy brain. My mommy brain. I think I must look into this and let you know what I learn. I promise I am not looking for an excuse. Not really.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

guess you'll forgive me for talking about my son-in-law jason, huh?

Clare said...

i had that problem long before mommyhood! for me, it's the pairs of blond girls with the exact same hair and clothes that sit next to each other...except it's even worse when i see them apart, out of context!

DC Running Mama said...

Let's see....mommy brain has resulted in numerous emails without attachments, emails sent before they were completed, repeated conversations on a regular basis, and occassionally calling my husband by my brother's name! (no west va jokes!)

Sergio en Colombia said...

i love when you master the real names and then have to conquer the plethora of nicknames. i have a zoo this year: hormiga, chimpi, pollo, tigre...

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean, Gracie.
Love, Dad

N.D. said...

THis happened to me this year too. I think it was the pregnancy!! I always thought I was so good with names!