Tuesday, March 31, 2009

a quick word about peeling those baked beets

I think if you boil your beets, you peel them first. Peeling a beet after it's been baked is a bit more of a challenge, especially if you want to keep your pants purple-free. They're slippery, those baked beets.

So here's what I learned by trial and error:

1. Don't wear white. It's just asking for trouble.
2. Let the beets cool. They're easier to handle when you're only worried about them jumping from your fingertips rather than also distracted by their scalding heat. Today I baked beets in the morning so they'd be cool by the time I had to prep them for dinner.
3. With a vegetable peeler, peel a loop around the top or bottom of the beet.
4. Holding the beet by your fingertips at the unpeeled end, pull your fingers together over the peel toward the end. (Does that make any sense?) The peel should slip right off the beet.
5. If that maneuver doesn't work, just peel with the veggie peeler. A paring knife is a pain. I just learned that.

If I keep obsessing about beets, I'll post a picture or two. For now, here's the nutritional value of a beet. Mm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't peel beets before I boil them, either. After boiling, you can run cold water over them if you want to be able to peel them sooner rather than later. Usually they slip off easily... but sometimes you have to chip away at them... Mom

Clare said...

this post amused me because i will NEVER EVER make beets. i think my mom made me eat canned beets once as a kid and i am now afraid of them!

Angela and David Kidd said...

Like Clare, I bet I never make beets. I had to eat beets and liver a lot as a kid because I was anemic. I'm sure they taste great but I am scarred for life.