Friday, March 27, 2009

baked beets: a new favorite!

Justin is on a super veggie and fruit diet for a few days. Won't get into why except to tell you that it's nothing outrageously serious but the doctor did suggest that he limit his diet to only fruits and veggies for a few days. That isn't such a crazy change because since moving to Colombia we've both upped our fruit and veggie consumption and lowered our meat consumption. I like to make a game of checking off my "five a day."

And it's remarkably easy and cheap to eat an abundant variety of fruits and vegetables here. Olga, who works in the school's administrative offices, commented about visiting Whole Foods in the States: "It's like La14 but super expensive." And it is. La14 (La Catorce) is our local chain grocery store and it's great. Shop on Tuesdays for ten percent off all produce.

Anyway. At La14 I ran into Laura Elena and Ben which was fortunate because LE was just on a strict diet because (and this is the unfortunate part) she had dengue fever. So she knows her veggies and all the ways to prepare them. She offered a few suggestions - drinking aloe (4 Tbsp in a glass of water) for the stomach and gut, mashing steamed cauliflower, and baking beets. I went online and found this way to prepare baked beets. Here it is, with my modifications:

Baked Beets

1. Scrub or wash 4 medium beets. You can just dust the dirt off too. If the beets are wet, dry them before baking so you avoid steaming them. (I'm not sure why steaming is so terrible).
2. Place beets in covered casserole. I just wrapped tin foil over the top. Bake for an hour or an hour and half at 400 degrees. (Fahrenheit, goes without saying. But I just did).
3. Peel and eat. I'm still stuck about the peeling part. I read that it's supposed to be easy but I don't think it's that easy. I baked a bunch of beets at once (8 or 9) and used about half that night; the next night, peeling the cold beets was (slightly) easier.
4. Thinly slice beets and mix with a quarter cup of cream in a saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste. Right before serving, squeeze a lemon or lime wedge over the beets. Delicious.

1 comment:

DC Running Mama said...

Beets are the only food that I can honestly say that I hate with a venegence....your recipe may make me reconsider my vendetta.