Saturday, February 28, 2009

friday five: ten minutes or less

1. Interview(s)! Finally! We have two Skype/phone interviews set up for this weekend. One school is in Kuwait and the other is in Saudi Arabia; administrators at both are supportive of my desire to work part-time and it's feasible that I could not teach for a year or two and pick up extra money tutoring and subbing. Both schools have great advantages and we're excited to find out how we might fit in either school community. Tomorrow we'll be sending emails to and calling people who have lived and worked in those countries to learn more about the cultures.

2. Belly to back and back to belly. Claire is beginning to roll all over - it's officially a mode of transportation. She's not quite sitting up on her own but when she's on her back she reaches forward like she's doing little crunches...which is what mama should be doing. My abdominals are still a little split.

3. Recipes coming soon! Last weekend I spent Saturday and Sunday making freezer meals. Then I made spinach balls for our English department tertulia (we sat around talking about J.D. Salinger's short story "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" and eating Octavio's suburb veggie lasagna). And there are a few demands for The Best Chocolate Cake ever recipe. So I'll do a recipe post soon. I've been trying a few new things.

4. Tomorrow is Bolivar Day. We'll take Claire around noon and eat lunch on campus. It's a day of loud music, bingo (last year one of the top prizes was plastic surgery - ha!), salsa dancing, and running into everyone you already know. Should be fun.

5. Today was Copa de Amistad, the annual futbol game with our (friendly) rival school. I missed the game, electing to come home to my wee one who has been sick with gripa (just a cold, sore throat). But the time I was on campus, the students were nuts. Blue and white face paint, coordinated tees, silver and blue stars on cheeks, whistles, air horns, confetti at the ready. It reminds me of Catcher in the Rye when Pencey Prep is playing against Saxon Hall and Holden says "The game with Saxon Hall was supposed to be a very big deal around Pencey. It was the last game of the year, and you were supposed to commit suicide or something if old Pencey didn't win." It's a day to go crazy. And, today, for the Bolivar boys, a day to tie. No shootout.

1 comment:

DC Running Mama said...

I spent a good month in the middle east, including Kuwait for work. It is a totally different world out there. You might be doing a lot more treadmill running if you end up going there. In Kuwait, we were advised not to go out in public without long sleeves. I was blond at the time and I have never experienced again the sensation of being stared at constantly. Keep us updated!