Friday, November 21, 2008

one recipe a week

Claire and I have a routine. We go grocery shopping on Tuesday or Wednesday each week. The taxi drivers want to know if Claire's papa is Colombian and seem disappointed to find out, no. Perhaps she makes up for her lack of a Colombian papa by being born in this country. Colombians love that. They love their country. At the grocery store, old women click their tongues and coo at this white white baby. "Que linda," they say. When I see other young moms, we smile, maneuvering our carts, peering at each others' baby and asking, "How many months?"

Here's what else happens: everyone feels obligated to tell me that my baby is cold. "Ooh, frio, frio," one woman says, touching Claire's little arm. I'm reaching for the butter at the dairy case. Claire probably does feel a little chill. I feel a little chill. Then the woman looks at me like I ought to do something, I've allowed this to go on long enough. Sometimes I feel defensive. Sometimes I want to unpack Claire from the baby carrier and point to my sweaty stomach: see, she's a heater. She's like her papa. Which is welcome during Wisconsin winters but just sweaty in equatorial Colombia.

So this week when we went grocery shopping, I put pants and a sweatshirt on her. She looked like a linebacker on top and a weeble-wobble on the bottom but no one said she looked cold.

Anyway.

One recipe a week. That's what I've been doing, finding and cooking one new recipe a week. This only started three or four weeks ago. I've made beef stroganoff sans egg noodles since I couldn't find them. Justin about died to find me standing over a pan of browning meatballs when he got home from work. I followed that with Greek steak pitas which were missing the dill in the yogurt sauce but still tasted good. And last night we had a super delicious chicken curry with vegetables and coconut rice. Roll your eyes heavenward good.

I can only take credit for following recipes. Sometimes I modify.

Here's one recipe I won't modify. From Cooking Light.

Coconut Banana Bread
(I walked with Claire to Carulla for the rum. All I bought was a bottle of rum and two chocolate bars for my birthday cake frosting. While standing in line, a retired doctor asked me if breastfeeding was working out okay. Hope he didn't think I subsist on rum and chocolate).

1 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. mashed banana (2 or 3 bananas)
1/4 c. plain yogurt
3 tb. dark rum
1/2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. coconut

Beat the sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time - I beat the batter for about a minute after adding each. Add the banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla. Then add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the coconut. Bake in greased bread pan at 350 for one hour, mas o menos. Cool on a wire rack. For the glaze, mix 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1 tb. coconut and 1 1/2 tb. lime juice.

No comments: